4/19/2006

We are looking for an experienced chair buyer (three years minimum)

I wrote about managers becoming coaches in agile environment. Vasco Duarte wrote also about agile management. He pointed out this article by Joel Spolsky about "the development abstraction layer". It is entertaining reading as it usually is at Joel on Software. This posting does great job in describing the new era of manager's role. However I would personally like to see a bit more from management than getting me a new chair when I'm in need. I would prefer top management to create the grand vision and middle management to organize programs to put this vision into practice. I do not mean traditional middle management, which would drive the innovation by command, but middle management that builds the abstraction layer enabling us to harness the innovation power of the developer team. This is difficult task, and is what makes finding a good manager still a tough job. Chair buyers are much easier to recruit.

No comments: